The University of Kentucky's Engineering/MBA dual degree is a unique program that intersects technology and business, awarding both the Bachelor of Engineering and Master of Business Administration (MBA) degrees. All qualified UK engineering majors can take advantage of this highly competitive program.
Admissions & Preparatory Courses
Qualified candidates will be invited to apply, which will be followed by individual interviews (online and campus will be available as appropriate) with the Engineering/MBA Dual Degree Selection Committee. Only engineering majors at the University of Kentucky qualify, however other engineering majors from other institutions can still apply for consideration into the One Year MBA program.
Program Description & Curriculum
Combine your technical skills with a strong business savvy.
In recognition of the increasing need for the integration of technology and business skills, the Engineering/MBA dual degree program was established to give students with technical backgrounds in engineering and computer science the leadership, critical thinking, communication, problem solving and team-building skills while increasing their business knowledge. Candidates accepted into the Engineering/MBA dual degree program will be able to take advantage of the following:
- One Year MBA program, including the Project Connect internship experience
- Significant scholarship opportunities
- Valuable enrichment activities during senior year of undergraduate studies (as needed)
- Two-week International Study Abroad trip at the conclusion of the MBA program
Program timeline and how to apply
Dual Degree Program with One Year MBA
Year 1-4: Take engineering courses as scheduled.
Year 4 (Senior Year):
- Indicate your intention to apply by completing the Engineering/MBA dual degree pre-application form. The first Priority Application Deadline is December 1st. Candidates that apply on or before this date will be given first consideration into the dual program.
- The Final Application Deadline, if space is still available, is January 15th.
- Candidates must submit graduate the school application to the MBA program and satisfy the MBA Admissions Requirements. Make sure to select the "MBA/Engineering" option in the program-specific box on your application.
- All candidates are required to take either the GMAT or GRE exam.
- The Engineering/MBA Dual Degree Selection Committee will review applications and invite selected candidates for an interview (campus or online will be available as needed). Fifteen candidates will initially be selected for the Engineering/MBA dual degree program. Each candidate will receive a $25K scholarship towards the One Year MBA tuition.
- Candidates that are not selected into the Engineering/MBA dual degree program can still be considered for admission into the One Year MBA program and funding from the general MBA scholarship budget (if funds are still available).
- Must have an undergraduate degree from University of Kentucky in engineering or computer science. Must be a U.S. Citizen and have a minimum 3.25 UGPA to apply. Candidates must be able start the One Year MBA in June each year after graduating.
- This program is open to December grads who pause their undergraduate education and complete their final semester in the College of Engineering after the completion of the MBA. Please contact Kim Anderson at UK's College of Engineering for more information on this option.
- Competitive GMAT/GRE scores will be communicated to candidates as early as possible each year.
Production Engineering Specialist at Toyota North America
Recycling Engineer at the Wieland Group
Software Engineer at Microsoft
Business Analyst at Syngenta
Business Analyst at Boeing
Senior Financial Manager, Target Customer Team at Procter and Gamble
Pursue a wide-range of competitive career possibilities.
Through the comprehensive career support provided by the Graham Office of Career Management, the Engineering/MBA dual degree graduates are able to explore careers with a wide range of reputable employers and industries. Some of the recent companies and organizations that have hired our Engineering/MBA dual degree talent include:
International Study Abroad
Two-week international study experience in Europe.
One compelling feature of the Engineering/MBA Dual Degree program occurs at the end of the MBA year when all participants embark on an exclusive two-week international study experience in Europe. Students visit global businesses and industrial sites with the opportunity to become immersed in different cultures and historical sites. In response to COVID-19, the 2020 study abroad trip was canceled. A decision has not yet been made for future classes.