Students applying for admission will be evaluated primarily on undergraduate grades GPA (all majors can apply). The GMAT/GRE requirement is waived for all applications who apply for Spring 2021 admission due to limited availability of tests caused by COVID-19. The TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo will be required for non-native English-speakers who do not have a degree from an English-speaking university, though this requirement may be waived based on an interview or other considerations. Work experience is not required. There are no specific course pre-requisites because the first course FIN 600 will introduce all the basic finance concepts to all students.
Starting in Fall 2021, applicants need to submit GMAT or GRE scores.
Deadline to apply for Spring 2021 admission is November 30, 2020. Deadline to apply for Fall 2021 admission is April 30 for international students and June 30 for domestic students.
Prospective students must apply online at the Graduate School.
All applications and supporting documents should be submitted to the Graduate School. Please note the MSF program does not require letters of recommendation.
Spring admission is considered if either one of the following two conditions is met:
- Applicant plans to finish the program in more than two semesters.
- Applicant's undergraduate major is finance with a GPA greater than or equal to 3.0.
Completion of the application does not guarantee admission into the MSF program. Applicants will be evaluated primarily based on their undergraduate grade point average (GPA), their GMAT/GRE scores, and their TOEFL/IELTS scores.
Required Application Materials
- Resume or CV
- TOEFL or IELTS or DUOLINGO score if you are an international student (the TOEFL Institution Code for the UK Graduate School is 1837, and IELTS scores should be sent directly to us from the International English Language Testing Service specifying the University of Kentucky Graduate School, Lexington, Kentucky as the recipient institution.)
- Undergraduate transcript if your transcript is in a SECURE pdf file, please print the file out and re-scan it to upload, otherwise the system cannot see it.
- GMAT or GRE: The Institution Code for the UK Graduate School is 1837 for both GMAT and GRE.
The GMAT/GRE exams may be waived by the MSF Admissions Committee as part of the graduate test requirement for the Master of Science in Finance program. Sole discretion of any GMAT/GRE waiver remains with the MSF Admissions Committee and any waiver granted does not guarantee acceptance. The following criteria may be considered for waivers:
• If the applicant has been awarded a Masters, Doctorate, or a terminal degree such as in Law, Dentistry, Medicine or Pharmacy Doctorate, or presently enrolled in such programs and in good standing
• If the applicant has an undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or higher
• If the applicant has professional work experience or has obtained additional professional certifications. Special considerations will be given to experience, position(s) held, tenure, professional responsibilities and specific accomplishments in finance. Combined with career experience, additional considerations will be given to those who have demonstrated prior academic achievement. Professional certifications include CPA, CFA, FRM, professional trainings/courses and/or credentials.
Minimum Test Scores & Additional Considerations
- The minimum undergraduate GPA requirement is 2.75.
- We accept either TOEFL or IELTS or DUOLINGO: minimum TOEFL score is 550 (paper-based) 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based). The minimum IELTS score is 6.5. Minimum DUOLINGO is 115 plus an online interview.
- Minimum GMAT is 550 and minimum GRE is 300.