Kentucky had a women's basketball team before a men's team! The first team of women was in 1902. The following year, 1903, the men organized a team.
Established in 1865 as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky University, it wasn’t until 1916 that it was officially renamed the University of Kentucky.
The College of Business and Economics was established at UK in 1925 and was renamed the Gatton College of Business and Economics in 1996, after Carol Martin Gatton.
Memorial Hall was built in 1929 to honor Kentuckians who died in WW1. It seats up to 700 students. The steeple is part of UK’s logo and is 135 feet high.
Maxwell House, the President’s home, is located on Rose Street. It was built in 1872 for Judge James Hillary Mulligan. The house, along with 13 acres, was sold to UK in 1917 by Mulligan’s heirs for $40,000. Frank McVey was the first president to live in the house.
Patterson Office Tower was completed in 1968 and is named after President Patterson. It houses College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Social Work, Honors at UK, the Dean of Students Office and Division of Student Affairs among others.
Patterson Statue is bronze, weighing approximately 1800 pounds, honors James Kennedy Patterson, who served as UK’s first president from 1869-1910. The statue, by Augustus Lukeman, was dedicated June 1, 1934, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Patterson’s birth. This is not the statue’s original site; it has been moved several times over the years as campus has grown.
William T. Young Library (aka Willie T.) – The $58 million library opened in April 1998. It is crown jewel of the UK library system that has more than 1.2 million books, giving UK the largest book endowment (over 4 million) of all public institutions and ranks second in the United States only to Harvard University. The library seats 4,000 including 650 with computer access.