How do I access tutoring resources?

Student tutoring through Gatton will be available virtually this fall. Information including hours, how to connect and other campus tutoring resources are available at

Are my professors available in their offices? Can I go to my professor’s office for questions?

All UK instructors have been instructed to conduct virtual office hours to limit traffic in academic buildings. Contact your professor or faculty directly for setting up online communication.

Faculty Directory

Are student organizations meeting this semester? Will there be an in-person student organization activities or meetings?

Student organization activities and meetings may continue virtually and in-person, at the discretion of the student organization. In-person events must adhere to the University guidelines.Contact your organization’s faculty advisor for any questions about semester plans or membership.

Student Organizations

What if I have a question for the Undergraduate Resource Center (URC)? How can I talk to an academic advisor?

The URC is open for all your student service needs! Click here for hours and how to connect. You can also call 859-257-4627 or email for assistance.

What if I have a question for the Graham Office of Career Management? How can I talk to an career advisor?

The Graham Office of Career Management is open for all your career advising needs! Click here for hours and how to connect. You can also call 859-257-2001 or email for assistance.

What procedures are in place to ensure the safety of our community in the Gatton College building?

The Gatton College follows the University of Kentucky’s overarching guidelines for all campus activities. The university’s current guidelines are maintained and located on the university's coronavirus response webpage at Occupancy rates are reduced throughout the Gatton College building with limited seating in all common areas. To promote proper social distancing, signage is posted in all areas to indicate where to stand, walk, or wait. Hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies are available throughout the building. In order to access the building, the Gatton community (faculty, staff, students, and visitors) are expected to practice healthy behaviors, including daily health self-assessments. Employees are encouraged to work remotely whenever possible to reduce pedestrian traffic.

What Gatton spaces will be available to students outside of class? When are these spaces available?

The Gatton College building hours are Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday 7 a.m.-5 p.m., and closed on weekends and university holidays. While the building is fully open for the fall 2020 semester, capacity is reduced throughout the building including the atrium, quiet study, small group study rooms, and reception areas. Seating and furniture have been rearranged, removed or marked with signage in order to maintain proper social distancing guidelines. All spaces are clearly marked with reduced maximum occupancy rates and these occupancy rates must be maintained at all times.

Is food service permitted and available in the Gatton College building?

Brioche Doree Café is open Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m and Friday 7 a.m.-2 p.m. The drinking fountains will not be operating during the fall 2020 semester; however, the water bottle filler stations will continue to be available. Generally, food or drink is NOT permitted in any of the academic spaces including classrooms and the auditorium. No self-service or buffets are permitted in any spaces. Additional guidelines must be followed for organized events.

Can I still access the University Counseling Center?

In order to protect our campus community and beyond, the UKCC hopes to reduce the transmission of the coronavirus by modifying most services offered. Individual and couples therapy, and case management appointments will be conducted via secure Zoom or phone to students who are currently in the state of Kentucky. If you are not in the state of Kentucky, we can talk by phone to locate other resources for you.

If you are in crisis, please call our office 859-257-8701 or use the crisis services listed below.

Check our website for updates and resources for self-care. It is normal to feel isolated, anxious and sad at this time. Please reach out to us for support. Non-crisis questions may be e-mailed to

Where can I receive basic needs?

The Community of Concern serves as a central hub to connect students with resources to meet basic needs regarding food and housing. CoC connects students with resources and provides support best aligned with specific student needs.