Students applying for admission will be evaluated primarily on standardized test scores (GMAT or GRE; either will be accepted) and undergraduate grades and major. The TOEFL or IELTS will be required for non-native English-speakers who do not have a degree from an English-speaking university, though this requirement may be waived based on an interview or other considerations. Work experience is not required. There are no specific course pre-requisites other than college-level math and introductory statistics.
Prospective students must apply online at the Graduate School. All applications and supporting documents should be submitted to the Graduate School. Please note the MSF program does not require letters of recommendation.
Spring admission is considered if either one of the following two conditions is met:
- Applicant plans to finish the program in more than two semesters.
- Applicant's undergraduate major is finance with a GPA greater than or equal to 3.2.
Completion of the application does not guarantee admission into the MSF program. Applicants will be evaluated primarily based on their undergraduate grade point average (GPA), their GMAT/GRE scores, and their TOEFL/IELTS scores.
Required Application Materials
- Resume or CV
- Official GMAT or GRE score (the institutional code for UK Graduate School is 1837 when sending your GMAT or GRE score.)
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score if you are an international student (the TOEFL Institution Code for the UK Graduate School is 1837, and IELTS scores should be sent directly to us from the International English Language Testing Service specifying the University of Kentucky Graduate School, Lexington, Kentucky as the recipient institution.)
- Official undergraduate transcript
Minimum Test Scores & Additional Considerations
- The minimum undergraduate GPA requirement is 2.75.
- We accept either GRE or GMAT. The minimum for GMAT is 550. The minimum for GRE is 300 (V+Q+writing). We accept either TOEFL or IELTS: minimum TOEFL score is 550 (paper-based) 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based). The minimum IELTS score is 6.5.
- The GMAT/GRE exams may be waived by the MSF Admissions Committee as part of the graduate test requirement. Sole discretion of any GMAT/GRE waiver remains with the MSF Admissions Committee and any waiver granted does not guarantee acceptance. The GMAT or GRE can still be recommended by the MSF Admissions Committee to strengthen the overall competitiveness of the applicant.
If the applicant meets any of the following criteria, he or she may be considered for a waiver.
- The applicant has been awarded a Master's, PhD, or a terminal degree such as in law, dentistry, medicine or pharmacy doctorate, or presently enrolled in such programs and in good standing.
- The applicant has an undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- The applicant has professional work experience with emphasis on finance, position(s) held, tenure, professional responsibilities and specific accomplishments in finance. Combined with career experience, additional considerations will be given to those who have demonstrated prior academic achievement and/or those who have obtained additional professional certifications (such as CPA, CFA, or FRM), professional trainings/courses and/or credentials.
To be considered for the waiver, email an updated resume and supporting documents to email@example.com.