LEAP lab: Accounting and Economics
What is LEAP?
LEAP is the Lab for Economic and Accounting Proficiency that provides FREE tutoring to students taking ACC201, ACC202, ECO201, and ECO202.
Where is LEAP?
The lab is located in room 314 of the Gatton College of Business and Economics.
Why visit LEAP?
Faculty and administrators in the Gatton College of Business and Economics realize that many students find principles courses in Accounting and Economics challenging. Also, many students have difficulty attending regular daytime office hours. LEAP is open at hours that provide flexibility in your schedule.
When to visit LEAP?
The lab is normally open Fall and Spring Semesters Monday-Thursday from 11:00am - 8:00pm and Friday from 11:00am - 2:00pm. First day of operation for FALL 2014 is Tuesday, September 2, 2014. LEAP is closed during the Summer Semesters.
Extra hours may be provided during exam weeks. The lab will be closed on academic holidays and any revised schedules will be placed on the lab door on a weekly basis if changes occur.
Who Works in LEAP?
LEAP is staffed by qualified students who have successfully completed these principles courses.
What to do before you visit LEAP:
Please come to LEAP prepared. The tutors will assume that you have read the required readings and are familiar with the assignments. If at all possible, please make a first attempt at answering the question on your own before you seek assistance from the tutors. Tutors are there to help you learn the material, not to give you the answers or complete your assignments for you. Also, remember that LEAP is not a substitute for attending class.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact LEAP student coordinators Jonathan Elliott (email@example.com) for Economics and/or Steven King (firstname.lastname@example.org) for Accounting, or Gail Hoyt LEAP faculty coordinator for economics (office 206D Matthews) or Cynthia J. Miller, LEAP faculty coordinator for accounting (office 204 Mandrell).
Academic Enhancement, more commonly known as "The Study" (3rd floor Commons), offers a complete range of academic services, including:
Peer Tutoring (more information)
- Free, drop-in Peer Tutoring in over 30 introductory courses
- Open from 3:00-10:00pm on Monday-Thursday, 12:00-5:00pm on Friday, and 6:00-10:00pm on Sunday.
- Peer tutors are CRLA certified and have earned at least a “B” in the course
Individual Academic Consultations (schedule on myUK)
- Free, individual meeting with a learning specialist
- One-hour meeting to discuss school-related issues such as study skills, time and stress management, exam preparation, etc.
Study Smarter Seminar (register on line)
- Individualized assessment of learning and study skills
- Strategies to improve motivation, test-taking, time management, reading efficiency, concentration, and more!
- One-time, non-credit earning course ($40)
GRE Prep Courses (register on line)
- Participants will learn how to approach the structure of the exam, focus on test-taking strategies, and complete a practice exam (on-site scoring) and practice questions.
- Verbal and Math: each course is 4 hours and $100
For more information and to view current peer tutoring schedules, visit http://www.uky.edu/AE.
The Study is a great, quiet place to study and work on homework. Drop-ins are welcome!
Students can meet with faculty for assistance and troubleshoot technological problems in The Math Sciences Instructional Lab (Mathskeller) room 63 of the Whitehall Classroom Building. http://www.mathskeller.com/