1925 The College of Commerce was created from the Department of Economics and was given full accreditation by the AACSB International, International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). Initially, the College occupied a single room in White Hall. The College's first dean was Professor Edward Wiest, a professor in what was the Department of Economics.
1948 Professor Cecil C. Carpenter named dean. Enrollment tops at 1,000 students. Publication of the Commerce Employment Association's "Bargains in Brains" to aid student placement begins.
1952 The MBA degree offered as veterans returned to attend college on the GI bill. Enrollment peaks 200 graduating per year.
1964 The College's new building is completed. The College consists of two academic departments: the Department of Economics and the Department of Business Administration. (The Department of Accounting was created in 1967.)
1965 Professor Charles F. Haywood named dean. During Dean Haywood's term, the number of students graduating doubled; the entire undergraduate curriculum is revised, and the College begins offering a DBA program.
1968 College renamed the College of Business and Economics.
Late 1960s and early 1970s Reorganization and expansion of the Bureau of Business Research occurs. The Management Center , the Center for Labor Education and Research (CLEAR), and the Kentucky Council of Economic Advisors are created and programs for technical and research assistance to state agencies and local governments are added. Enrollment continues to grow at a rapid pace.
1974 Professor William W. Ecton named acting dean of the college.
1976 Prof. Ecton becomes the second alumnus of the College to serve as dean. The Business Advisory Council is established, ties to the business community are strengthened, and the College's international and continuing education programs are expanded.
1981 Professor Richard W. Furst becomes the College's fifth dean. He creates the University of Kentucky Business Partnership Foundation , an affiliated corporation to assist the College in establishing chairs, professorships and scholarship support, and to advise on the College's growth.
1982 The College establishes Business Exchange , a newsletter for the College's alumni and friends.
1985 Students hold the first phonathon, calling alumni to request financial support of the College's Carpenter Scholarship fund.
1987 The second group of students receive financial support from the Carpenter Scholarship fund. The College establishes the Singletary Scholarship fund to benefit graduate students. The first summer study abroad program in Vienna , Austria , in cooperation with the Wirtschaftsuniversitat Wien, the Economics University of Vienna begins. The Program for Excellence begins, and the Kentucky legislature funds the construction of a major addition to the College.
1989 The College begins expanding international programs and developing new programs in Europe and Asia .
1991 The College receives the first of several large grants from the United States Information Agency to help develop market economies in Central and Eastern Europe . Classes are held in the new facility, and the new electronic information center is named the " Ashland Oil Information Center " in recognition of a major gift from Ashland, Inc.
1992 The College is named one of the nation's "best buys" in business education by Business Week .
1993 The College's Alumni Hall of Fame inducted its first "class."
1995 The Board of Trustees renames the College in honor of Mr. Carol Martin Gatton, Class of 1954, in recognition of his $14 million pledge. The B&E Ambassador program begins. The Department of Economics begins focus on excellence in undergraduate education in economics.
1996 The Kentucky Scholars program is established to attract more of the state's best students to the College's MBA program. The "Center for Small Business Development" became the "Center for Entrepreneurship."
1997 The College adds joint-degree programs in medicine, pharmacy, and allied health to established joint-degree programs in law and engineering.
1998 The College began offering a certificate in medical management and began intensive planning for a specialty program in sports management.
1999 Mr. Douglas J. Von Allmen, a 1965 graduate of the Gatton College 's Bachelor's Degree program in Accountancy, and his wife, Linda, give a $5 million gift to the School of Accountancy , matched by $5 million from the Commonwealth of Kentucky 's Research Challenge Trust Fund program. In June 2000, the School of Accountancy is renamed the Douglas J. Von Allmen School of Accountancy.
2001 The Von Allmen E-Commerce Center is established to develop and support the growth of the digital economy within the Commonwealth of Kentucky , and to foster and support academic research on electronic commerce.
2003 Dr. Devanathan Sudharshan becomes the sixth dean of the Gatton College of Business and Economics.
2011 Dr. Merl Hackbart becomes the Interim dean of the Gatton College of Business and Economics.
2012 Dr. David Blackwell becomes the seventh dean of the Gatton College of Business and Economics